I’ve been struggling with how to write about my experience during my recent hike through Iceland for the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation to help women and children escape violence and rebuild their lives. What we went through doesn’t even compare to the lives of women and children in abusive and violent conditions. To simply put it, I’m still processing the journey.
Some of the areas of Iceland we trekked through included Landmannalaugar, Landmannahellir, Afvatn (1150 metre elevation in one day), Emstrur, Thorsmork and Skogar. We visited the lava fields and craters from the Eyjafjallajokull volcano eruption in Spring of 2010, this was truly remarkable and one of my personal highlights of the trek.
It was truly an amazing and heart opening experience. When trek mates needed a hand, a hug, an applause or a cover to nip behind a rock. (this was mostly me as Group 2 can attest to), there was always someone there for you. It was a gruelling test of physical, mental, emotional and spiritual ability. It’s extremely sad to be leaving this group of amazing individuals after having such an intense 5 days trekking over 105kms together.
I couldn’t be more proud of all of the Trekkers in Groups 1, 2 & 3. There were broken bones, sprains, aches, pains, dehydration, cuts and bruises, but like all Royal LePagers, we came together to push on and finish all together! It was a very humbling experience. Together (close to 90 Royal LePage Agents from across Canada) we have raised over $660,000 for the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation. 80% of proceeds I raised will go to the local shelter in Saskatoon called the Saskatoon Interval House. The remaining 20% of funds raised goes to domestic violence prevention and teen healthy relationship programs across Canada
Thank you again for all of your support and a huge thank you to the Saskatoon Hikers MeetUp Group and friends for helping me train for this amazing journey.
Donations are absolutely still welcome and greatly appreciated.